Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Back in school

Conditions on the ground dictated that I could and should return to school to do High School games. This season, I return to the fray. I have taken my test, watched the rules clinic online and attended the on-site meeting that they had for high school referees. I haven't found a good (and updated) list of differences between the rules in USSF soccer, and that of NFHS rules.

The ones that I know of off the top of my head are the throw in, where USSF is a redo should the ball not actually go in play (high school you gave up your chance), the yellow card requirement of coming off in high school and the injury to the keeper where a trainer needs to come out.

There are other differences, like OT PKs but that is more of a procedural thing. If any of you have a good updated list with all the differences, it would be great for someone like me that has exclusively been doing USSF based rules for the last 3-4 years. Thanks in advance if you do find a list out there and I will update this post should a good one be found.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a comparative table (2017) in the NHFS website here - https://www.nfhs.org/media/1018270/2017_soccer_guide_-interscholastic_revised.pdf.

Or you can buy the complete rules book....the table is there.

In my opinion, we should be striving to standardize the rules and make them as close to IFAB as possible rather than making changes that confuse referees, coaches, players, and spectators. At the state level there may be additional changes - in Florida there are changes on top of NFHS rules.

I guess some rules have merit - I even like the double-dual (three whistles) system you work with a good crew. What I do not understand is spending so much time and effort on things like uniforms!!!

I hope his helps

YASR - Yet Another Soccer Referee said...

Thank you for your comment, that was exactly what I was looking for.